Work Permits

OHIO Minor Student Work Permits (Age and Schooling Certificate)

ALL Student workers are responsible for planning ahead and turning in all required application paperwork in a timely fashion in order to obtain their work permit by their employer’s deadline.

Please read the following guidelines on requirements and processing timelines very carefully.

Students seeking to obtain a work permit must be enrolled and attending school.

- We reserve the right to deny permits to minors who have been expelled, have  withdrawn, or are not in regular attendance.

- We reserve the right to revoke a work permit for students who become expelled,  withdraw, or cease to attend school regularly.

- The student’s school issues the work permit. Students attending charter schools or  Ohio-based online schools must get their permit from their own school.

- Whitmer students working in Michigan must obtain a Michigan work permit from Bedford High School. Bedford's main office is open until 3:30 pm, Monday-Friday.

Michigan students working in Ohio can obtain a work permit from Whitmer High School.

Proof of age requirement:

= All WLS students have their birth certificates in their cumulative record file and therefore are not required to provide additional proofs of age.

- Junior high students wishing to obtain a work permit need to have their school office sign the permit application to confirm proof of age and verify regular attendance. 

For Michigan students, we require that their school sign off on the work permit application to verify their age. This signature also implies they do not object to this student having a job.

Physician’s Certificate for Minor Work Permit – required by the State of Ohio:

- If the student has a sports physical on file in the Athletics office and it is dated within one year it will be accepted for the work permit applications.

- If applicable, students should take their work permit application to the Athletics office to have the secretary confirm that a current sports physical is on file for the student.

Timeline for Processing a Completed Work Permit Application WHEN SCHOOL IS IN SESSION*:

For Whitmer students, fully completed work permit applications that are received in the office:

by 10:30 a.m. will be ready for pick-up after 1:00 p.m. the same day.

after 10:30 a.m. will be available for pick-up after 8:30 a.m. the next business day.

For Washington/Jefferson Junior High and Michigan resident students, as your school schedule does not usually allow you to drop off or pick up your paperwork, we will process walk-in work permit applications for you or your adult representative who brings in the paperwork. You need not be present to sign the finished permit though you need to sign it before you turn it in to your employer.

* Walk-ins will be accommodated by available staff during winter, spring, and summer breaks.

Office hours are Monday-Friday, 7:00 am - 3:00 pm

Applications must be completed by parent/guardian, employer, and physician before bringing it to the office. We get the application last. It is, in fact, just the application and will remain on file in the school office until the student turns 18. Student workers will be given a work permit certificate to give to their employer.

If you have any questions you may contact the Principal’s Office at 419-473-8490.

4109.02 Age and schooling certificate for minor of compulsory school age.

(A) Except as provided in division (B) of this section or in section 4109.06 of the Revised Code, no minor of compulsory school age shall be employed by any employer unless the minor presents to the employer a proper age and schooling certificate as a condition of employment.

A valid certificate constitutes conclusive evidence of the age of the minor and of the employer's right to employ the minor in occupations not denied by law to minors of that age under section 4109.06 of the Revised Code or rules adopted under that section.

(B) Minors aged sixteen or seventeen are not required to provide an age and schooling certificate as a condition of employment if they are to be employed during summer vacation months after the last day of the school term in the spring and before the first day of the school term in the fall, in nonagricultural and nonhazardous employment as defined by the "Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938," 52 Stat. 1060, 29 U.S.C.A. 201, and similar state statutes, or in other employment not prohibited to minors age sixteen or seventeen by law.

(C) To be hired for the type of employment described in division (B) of this section, minors shall provide the employer with the following:

(1) Evidence of proof of age in the same manner as proof of age is provided the superintendent of schools or chief administrative officer under division (A)(3) of section 3331.02 of the Revised Code;

(2) A statement signed by the minor's parent or guardian consenting to the proposed employment. For the purposes of this section, in the absence of a parent or guardian, a person over eighteen years of age with whom the minor resides may sign the statement.

Effective Date: 08-28-2002; 03-30-2006