Skip to main content

Washington

Local Schools

Individual Attention.


Infinite Opportunities.

Voice Recognition

History

The History of the Washington Local School District

View a PowerPoint slide show on the History of Washington Local Schools at the bottom of the page.

School Building Facilities - Washington Local Schools

WHITMER HIGH SCHOOL 5601 Clegg Drive, Toledo, OH 43613 (1958)

  • 99 Classrooms with a capacity of 2,930 and a total area of 271,050 square feet.
  • 1958 – Original construction of brick, concrete, and curtain wall exterior with 82 classrooms and a capacity of 2,200 students (2 former classrooms now serve as office space). Gymnasium seating 4,500 on folding bleachers, 24’ ceiling height. Auditorium capacity of 1,500 in permanent seats, 38’ ceiling height. Cafeteria seating 600 (now seats 425), 11’6” ceiling height.
  • 1971 – Modular building with 9 classrooms and a capacity of 270 added. Construction of wood frame interior with concrete floors and brick exterior.
  • 1973 – Science wing with 4 classrooms with a capacity of 80, 6 labs with a capacity of 180, Resource Center, and Lecture Hall added.
  • 2006 – Added auxiliary gym , weight room, locker room (added approximately 28,220 square feet).

WHITMER STADIUM

  • 2009 – Replaced concession stands. Added locker rooms, meeting rooms and laundry facilities.

WHITMER VOCATIONAL CENTER (CTC) 5719 Clegg Drive, Toledo, OH 43613 (1974)

  • 43 Classrooms with a capacity of 1,290 and a total are of 125,055 square feet.
  • 1974 – Original construction of precast concrete and brick consisting of 42 classrooms. Print shop no longer serves as a classroom.
  • 1992 – Two classrooms constructed in second floor concourse.
  • 2005 – Typing lab on second floor renovated into 8 classrooms.

JEFFERSON JUNIOR HIGH 5530 Whitmer Drive, Toledo, OH 43613 (1927)

  • 38 Classrooms with a capacity of 1,040 and a total area of 60,500 square feet.
  • 1927 – Original construction of brick and concrete with wood floors, with 14 classrooms and a capacity of 375 students. Gymnasium with permanent seating for 200, 20’ ceiling height.
  • 1939 – 15 Classrooms with a capacity of 400 were added. Construction of brick and concrete with wood floors. New gymnasium with permanent seating capacity of 650 was added, 22’ ceiling height. Auditorium with permanent seating for 800 and a stage were added. Cafeteria seating of 250 was added, 8’6” ceiling height.
  • 1952 – 2 Classrooms with a capacity of 60 were added. Construction of brick and concrete. A new industrial arts shop with 1 classroom was added.
  • 1955 – 6 Classrooms with a capacity of 180 were added. Construction of brick and concrete.

WASHINGTON JUNIOR HIGH 5700 Whitmer Drive, Toledo, OH 43613 (1951)

  • 38 Classrooms with a capacity of 1,150 and a total area of 66,400 square feet.
  • 1951 – Original construction of brick and concrete. Gymnasium with stage seating 1,200 on folding bleachers, 21’ ceiling height. Cafeteria seating 400, 11’6” ceiling height.

GREENWOOD ELEMENTARY 760 Northlawn Drive, Toledo, OH 43612 (1958)

  • 27 Classrooms with a capacity of 810 and a total area of 49,054 square feet.
  • 1958 – Original construction of brick and concrete with 9 classrooms and a capacity of 270. Original name was Northwood Elementary. Multi-purpose room with stage, seating for 300, 18’ ceiling height.
  • 1960 – 6 Classrooms with a capacity of 180 were added. Construction of brick and concrete.
  • 1966 – 2 Classrooms with a capacity of 60 were added. Construction of brick and concrete.
  • 1968 – 3 Portable classrooms with a capacity of 90 were added. Construction of wood frame and exterior.
  • 1970 – 2 Portable classrooms with a capacity of 60 were added.
  • 1971 – 2 Brick portable classrooms with a capacity of 60 were added.
  • 1992 – 3 Portable classrooms with a capacity of 90 were added. Construction of wood frame and exterior.
  • 2005 – Replaced some portable classrooms with 6 classrooms and restrooms – approximately 9,982 square feet.

HIAWATHA ELEMENTARY 3020 Photos Drive, Toledo, OH 43613 (1958)

  • 21 Classrooms with a capacity of 630 and a total area of 42,370 square feet.
  • 1958 – Original construction of brick and concrete with 15 classrooms and a capacity of 450. Multi-purpose room with a capacity of 300 and 19’ ceiling height.
  • 1962 – 4 Classrooms with a capacity of 120 were added. Construction of brick and concrete.
  • 1966 – 2 Classrooms with a capacity of 60 were added. Construction of brick and concrete.

JACKMAN ELEMENTARY 2010 Northover Road, Toledo, OH 43623 (1954)

  • 22 Classrooms with a capacity of 660 and a total area of 45,980 square feet.
  • 1954 – Original construction of brick and concrete with 14 classrooms and a capacity of 420. Multi-purpose room with seating capacity of 300, 18’ ceiling height.
  • 1962 – 6 Classrooms with a capacity of 180 were added. Construction of brick and concrete.
  • 1970 – 2 Portable classrooms with a capacity of 60 were added. Construction of wood frame and exterior.
  • 1997 – 4 Portable classrooms were added with a capacity of 120. Construction of wood frame and exterior.

LINCOLNSHIRE ELEMENTARY (Now used as offices for Central Administration) 3505 West Lincolnshire Blvd., Toledo, OH 43606 (1954)

  • 14 Classrooms with a capacity of 420 and with a total area of 31,900 square feet. Now used as the offices for the Board of Education of Washington Local Schools.
  • 1954 – Original construction of brick and concrete with 8 classrooms and a capacity of 240. Multi-purpose room with stage and a capacity of 300, 18’ ceiling height.
  • 1958 – 4 Classrooms with a capacity of 120 were added. Construction of brick and concrete.
  • 1966 – 2 Classrooms with a capacity of 60 were added. Construction of brick and concrete.

MCGREGOR ELEMENTARY 3525 McGregor Lane, Toledo, OH 43623 (1962)

  • 20 Classrooms with a capacity of 600 and a total area of 42,000 square feet.
  • 1962 – Original construction of brick and concrete with 20 classrooms and a capacity of 600. Multi-purpose room with stage and a seating capacity of 300, 19’ ceiling height.
  • 2016 – 8 Classrooms and restrooms added - area of addition: 12,675 S.F. Total number of classrooms  - 28; Total square footage 54,675.

MEADOWVALE ELEMENTARY 2755 Edgebrook Drive, Toledo, OH 43613 (1963)

  • 26 Classrooms with a capacity of 780 and a total area of 47,840 square feet.
  • 1963 – Original construction of brick and concrete with 20 classrooms and a capacity of 600. Multi-purpose room with stage and a seating capacity of 300, 19’ ceiling height.
  • 1968 – 4 Portable classrooms with a capacity of 120 were added. Construction of wood frame and exterior.
  • 1992 – 2 Portable classrooms with a capacity of 60 were added. Construction of wood frame and exterior.
  • 2008 – Replaced portable classrooms with 10 classrooms and restrooms – approximately 14,285 square feet.

MONAC ELEMENTARY 3845 Clawson Avenue, Toledo, OH 43623 (1954)

  • 24 Classrooms with a capacity of 720 and a total area of 47,712 square feet.
  • 1954 – Original construction of brick and concrete with 14 classrooms and a capacity of 420. Multi-purpose room with stage and a seating capacity of 300, 18’ ceiling height.
  • 1958 – 4 Classrooms with a capacity of 120 were added. Construction of brick and concrete.
  • 1960 – 4 Classrooms with a capacity of 120 were added. Construction of brick and concrete.
  • 1989 – 2 Modular classrooms with a capacity of 60 were added. Construction of wood frame and exterior.
  • 1998 – 2 Portable classrooms were added with a capacity of 60. Construction of wood frame and exterior.
  • 2016 – 2 Portable classrooms were removed and 6 classrooms were added along with restrooms and a nurse's room. Area of addition: 8,245 S.F. - Total number of classrooms 30; Total square footage 55,957.

SHORELAND ELEMENTARY 5650 Suder at East Harbor Drive, Toledo, OH 43611 (1930)

  • 32 Classrooms with a capacity of 960 and a total area of 52,540 square feet.
  • 1930 – Original construction of brick and concrete and wood floors with 6 classrooms and a capacity of 192 students. Cafeteria seating capacity of 320, 9’ ceiling height was added.
  • 1939 – 6 Classrooms with a capacity of 192 were added. Construction of brick and concrete with wood floors. Old cafeteria remodeled into hallway and gymnasium. New cafeteria and kitchen with a capacity of 150 constructed. Gymnasium with stage and a permanent seating capacity of 350 (now 160) constructed, 18’6” ceiling height.
  • 1954 – 7 Classrooms with a capacity of 210 were added. Construction of brick and concrete with wood floors. Cafeteria capacity was increased to 300.
  • 1965 – 2 Classrooms with a capacity of 60 were added. Construction of brick and concrete.
  • 1967 – 4 Classrooms with a capacity of 120 were added. Construction of brick and concrete. Principal’s office, teacher lounge, and reading room were added.
  • 1976 – 7 Classrooms with a capacity of 210 were added. Construction of brick and concrete.

WERNERT ELEMENTARY 5050 Douglas Road, Toledo, OH 43613 (1917)

  • 27 Classrooms with a capacity of 810 and a total area of 60,220 square feet.
  • 1917 – Original construction of brick and concrete with floors, with 6 classrooms with a capacity of 180.
  • 1921 – 6 Classrooms with a capacity of 180 were added. Construction of brick and concrete with wood floors.
  • 1930 – 5 Classrooms with a capacity of 150 were added. Construction of brick and concrete with wood floors.
  • 1939 – 3 Classrooms with a capacity of 90 were added. Construction of brick and concrete with wood floors.
  • 1948 – Stage and permanent seating capacity of 250 (now 188) was added to the gymnasium, 18’ ceiling height. Kitchen and cafeteria with seating capacity of 250 were added, 9’6” ceiling height.
  • 1960 – 4 Classrooms with a capacity of 120 were added. Construction of brick and concrete.
  • 1966 – 3 Classrooms with a capacity of 90 were added. Construction of brick and concrete.

WESTWOOD ELEMENTARY (Leased to Educational Service Center of Lake Erie West) 3939 Wrenwood, Toledo, OH 43623 (1930)

  • 24 Classrooms with a capacity of 720 and a total area of 47,950 square feet.
  • 1930 – Original construction of brick and concrete with wood floors, six classrooms, and a capacity of 180.
  • 1937 – 3 Classrooms with a capacity of 90 were added. Construction of brick and concrete with wood floors. A kitchen and cafeteria seating 80 was added, 11’6” ceiling height. Gymnasium with stage and permanent seating for 175 was added, 18’ ceiling height.
  • 1948 – 2 Classrooms with a capacity of 60 were added. Construction of brick and concrete with wood floors.
  • 1954 – 4 Classrooms with a capacity of 120 were added. Construction of brick and concrete.
  • 1961 – 2 Classrooms with a capacity of 60 were added. Construction of brick and concrete.
  • 1962 – 3 Classrooms with a capacity of 90 were added. Construction of brick and concrete. New kitchen and cafeteria with a capacity of 200 were added, 12’ ceiling height.
  • 1965 – 2 Classrooms with a capacity of 60 were added. Construction of brick and concrete.
  • 1966 – 2 Classrooms with a capacity of 60 were added. Construction of brick and concrete.

Power Point Presentation on the History of Washington Local Schools